Frequently asked questions
How does Green Story work?
We do two things: impact measurement and communication of impact. As a customer, you get two things:
- A comparative environmental or social impact analysis of their product or service against that of the competition. The analysis breaks down their impact across key metrics such as carbon emissions, energy usage, water usage, fair wage labour etc. These are modeled using appropriate methodology such as ISO 14040 and sourced from pre-existing LCI reports, databases or developed from the ground up. The findings are presented as a comprehensive word report and PowerPoint deck to the customer. This is optional for customers who already have sufficient impact data.
- A visualization platform that can be customized and embedded directly into customers’ marketing channels or accessed via the Green Story application site. Customers can use this to generate visual infographics for environmental impact of products for their customers. The features are described in greater detail below. This is especially good for customers with online shopping features.
Why is it important?
We talk about why in our article on the say-do gap here.
What’s the big goal?
Our big goal is to enable 1,000,000,000 people to make greener choices through our customers.
What is the impact you have on the world?
Our impact comes through our clients. We help green companies sell more of their products, displacing non-sustainable alternatives. Our end goal is to help consumers make green choices.
We influence more people to make green choices as consumers do want to buy green and feel good about their purchases. They just don’t follow through. Use of relatable visuals and metrics on packaging and sites enable consumers to easily understand impact of choices available and feel good about their purchases.
We measure our impact for our customers and end consumers as follows:
- For our customers, the direct impact is the increase in green product sales attributable to our platform. We aggregate the social and environmental impact of increase in sales for products across all our clients to come at the total impact number which our company contributed to.
- The indirect impact is the increase in traffic of consumers who check out our interactive tools to learn more about the impact of our clients’ green products.
- For end consumers, we plan to continue to do end consumer surveys on effect of Green Story visuals on their purchasing decisions and to see if we have met the goal of changing consumer behavior.
What is the impact I can have on my customers?
Simply put, creating a connection with customers and building trust this leads to more sales. Companies will be less reliant on expensive labels, the instances of greenwashing will decrease, public trust in green companies will increase, and fewer green companies will go under.
How can consumers make a difference?
Every choice you make has an impact, whether you choose to buy organic, buy fair trade or just borrow or repair, you’re choosing not to consume as much resources as you would if you bought from a company that does not have sustainable practices. In the end, companies cater to consumer needs. If consumers demand more green products, companies will transition to a greener way of doing business. At Green Story, our goal is to enable consumers to weigh not just cost and need, but also consider their values before making a purchase.
What is an LCA report?
Life-cycle assessment (LCA, also known as life-cycle analysis, ecobalance, and cradle-to-grave analysis) is a technique to assess environmental impacts associated with all the stages of a product’s life. This can be cradle to grave (resource extraction to end of life), cradle to gate (resource extraction to a specific point in the product’s life), or gate to gate (between two points in the product’s life). While the methodology is focused on environmental impact assessments, a similar system can be used to look at social impact across a product or service’s life cycle.
Learn more about life cycle here.
I’m a small start-up. Can I still work with Green Story?
Yes! We have special pricing for startups and non-profits. Our clients include everyone from small non-profits and startups to large multinational companies. We truly believe in giving every company a level playing field.
I have an event that I want Green Story to be a part of. Can you come?
Feel free to reach out at email@example.com and we will be happy to talk about an event. Please write “Event request” in the subject line.
How do you choose your clients?
Green Story was established to counter false claims and greenwashing. Since our approach is based on 3rd party data and industry numbers, we can give a reasonably accurate estimate of a company’s impact, thereby eliminating greenwashing as much as possible. That said, we do not do an audit of a client’s data unless asked to, but strongly encourage our clients to do a 3rd party audit of their data. We plan to provide the audit functionality in the future.